Hidden plumbing leaks can wreak havoc on your home, causing possible water damage, bacterial growth and high water bills. At Instant Plumbing and Rooter, we want to ensure that homeowners in Phoenix are aware of the signs and consequences of hidden leaks. In this blog, we will discuss how to detect hidden plumbing leaks and the importance of addressing them promptly.
- Water Meter Check: This method involves turning off all water-using appliances and fixtures and monitoring the water meter for any changes, indicating a potential leak. Click here to learn how to read your homes water meter.
- Visual Inspection: Performing a visual inspection of your home is an important step in detecting hidden plumbing leaks. Follow these steps to conduct a thorough visual inspection and identify potential problem areas:
- Start with the interior: Begin your inspection inside your home. Look for any visible signs of water damage, such as discolored walls or ceilings, peeling paint or wallpaper or warped flooring. These can indicate the presence of hidden leaks.
- Walk barefoot around your home, feel for warm or wet spots in the flooring, this may indicate an under slab leak.
- Check under sinks: Inspect the cabinets under your sinks, both in the kitchen and bathrooms. Look for any signs of moisture, water stains or bacterial growth. Inspect the pipes, joints, and connections, as these are common areas for leaks.
- Examine your walls: Carefully inspect the walls for any signs of water damage, such as damp spots, bubbling or peeling paint or visible discoloration. Check around plumbing fixtures, including toilets, showers, and bathtubs, as well as any pipes that are in the walls.
- Inspect your basement: If you have a basement, make sure to check this area as well. Look for any signs of water accumulation, dampness, or bacterial growth. Pay attention to the walls, floors, and around the pipes and the utility connections.
- Check the exterior: Move outside and inspect the exterior of your home. Look for any areas where water may be pooling, such as near downspouts or sprinkler systems. Walk your grass area looking for any squishy, wet areas. Check for damp spots on the foundation, as this could indicate an underground leak.
- Inspect outdoor plumbing fixtures: Take a close look at outdoor faucets, hose bibs and sprinkler systems. Check for any signs of leaks or dripping water. Make sure all connections are secure and free from damage.
By conducting a thorough visual inspection of your home, you can identify possible areas where hidden plumbing leaks may be lurking. Remember, if you discover any signs of water damage or suspect a hidden leak, it’s important to consult a professional plumber, like our team at Instant Plumbing and Rooter in Phoenix, who can perform a comprehensive assessment and provide the necessary repairs.
- Listening for Leaks: In addition to conducting a visual inspection, another effective method for detecting hidden leaks is to listen for the sound of running or spraying water when no faucets or appliances are in use. To do this, make sure your home is as quiet as possible. Turn off any TVs, radios, or noisy appliances. Find a quiet spot near where you suspect there’s a leak, such as under sinks, behind walls or near water supply lines. Stay still and attentive, focus on any faint sounds of water movement. A leak can sometimes manifest as a continuous dripping or a subtle hissing noise. If you hear any suspicious sounds, it’s important to address the issue promptly by contacting a trusted plumber, like Instant Plumbing and Rooter in Phoenix, who can repair the hidden leak, ensuring the integrity of your plumbing system and preventing further water damage. Remember, early detection and intervention are key to minimizing the impact of hidden leaks on your home.
- Professional Leak Detection: If you have a suspicion that there’s a hidden leak in your home but can’t seem to locate it, it’s essential to reach out to a certified leak detection company for assistance. Trying to find a hidden leak without the right equipment and expertise can be a challenging task. That’s why we recommend Precision Locating, a reputable leak detection company that specializes in accurately locating hidden leaks. Their expertise and advanced equipment enable them to pinpoint the exact source of the leak and mark it for our team at Instant Plumbing and Rooter to repair. We have worked closely with Precision Locating and their reports and locating services have always been incredibly accurate, allowing us to address the issue promptly and efficiently. Don’t let a hidden leak go undetected—trust the professionals at Precision Locating and Instant Plumbing and Rooter to locate and repair any hidden leaks in your Phoenix home.
By detecting and addressing hidden plumbing leaks early on, you can prevent water damage and costly repairs. If you suspect a hidden leak in your Phoenix home, reach out to Instant Plumbing and Rooter, your reliable plumber in the Phoenix area. Remember, being informed about plumbing issues empowers homeowners to take action and protect their homes from potential water damage.